Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Science and Art of Mathematica

This photo looks a little like something I'm working on and Calabi-Yau sounds like a good name for it. I don't know too much about string theory, quantum gravity, 11 dimensions, etc, but I can appreciate the beauty of the graphical representation. I always liked cubism because it wasn't precise and what I do is never precise. Its purely random and illogical. Mathematica melds art and science in this collection on http://gallery.wolfram.com/ Beautiful graphical representations of Dodecahedra, Icosahedra ,Lissajous Boxes,Moire Trefoil, Polyhedras, and other mathematical art. I wish I had the ability to create something like these in Second Life but I don't. I'll leave that up to Seifert Surface, et al. Michael Trott is rockin! Mathematical sculptors abound: Carlo H. Sequin, Brent Collins, and many more I have yet to discover. Hey...even my Aunt Maggie can knit a mathematical example:

No comments: